Provider certification is valid for three years. After three years, the providers must submit a renewal application to maintain their certification. The date that certification expires is located in the final certification approval letter and can be reviewed online in the provider’s Provider Services Management current certifications. Each provider is responsible for tracking this date and submitting all documents required for certification renewal.
Providers can start their renewal applications 90 days before the date that their certification expires. Providers whose certifications expire before they submit and pay the fee for the renewal application will have a gap in their certification spans. Providers are not allowed to provide or bill for services once their certification has expired or during certification gaps.
Documents for Renewal Applications
- A current American Red Cross or equivalent certification in First Aid and CPR, including an in-person skills assessment
- A transcript and/or certificates that show the provider has successfully completed the required annual training available at DODD MyLearning including:
- the role and responsibilities of direct support providers with regard to services including person-centered planning, community integration, self-determination, and self-advocacy (MyLearning modules: Person-Centered Services, Community Integration),
- and the rights of people with disabilities outlined in in sections 5123.62 to 5123.64 of the Ohio Revised Code
- (MyLearning module: Rights of People with Developmental Disabilities and Restrictive Measures)
The requirements of OAC 5123-17-02, the MUI Rule, including a review of Health and Welfare Alerts issued by the department (MyLearning module: Protecting the Health and Welfare of People with Developmental Disabilities)
Most providers who are renewing certification are automatically enrolled in Rapback, a program that monitors background check information.
However, providers who are not enrolled in Rapback will see the Ohio Attorney General's Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation, or BCI, background check in the list of required documents in their renewal application. Providers may also call 1-800-617-6733 to verify if they have been enrolled in Rapback, or if they need to obtain an updated BCI report by visiting a WebCheck location.