ANNUAL ANALYSIS OF MUIs
Only include MUIs that occurred during time that your agency staff was responsible for/serving individual, discovered an MUI or if you provide around the clock care of the individual as listed in O.A.C. 5123:17-02 (D) (1)-(3).
Best Practice: ICF’s analysis should include all incidents (regardless of where they occurred) due to Medicaid requirements for health and safety.
- Example: If Johnny comes home from work and states that a peer hit him and that is where the black eye came from– that would only be included in your analysis if your agency provided the work service OR your agency provides around the clock service to the individual.
Make sure you include:
- Date of the review
- Names/titles of the person/persons who conducted the review.
- Time span of the review: The Annual should contain information from Jan-December 31.
- List of services included in your agency’s review (Residential, Vocational program, etc.)
- Comparison data for previous 3 years: (i.e. 2015, 2016, and 2017). You should always be comparing the data from year to year to identify trends/patterns comparatively.
- Explanation of data.
- Data for review by major unusual incident category type; Total number of consumers being served in each program (residential, vocational, etc.)
- Specific individuals involved in established trends and patterns (i.e., five major unusual incidents of any kind within six months, ten major unusual incidents of any kind within a year, or other pattern identified by the individual's team);
- Previously identified trends and patterns; and
- Action plans and preventive measures to address noted trends and patterns.
- Include causes and contributing factors as to why trends are occurring. Some examples include:
- Johnny’s mother passed away contributing to a temporary increase in aggression at home which resulted in unapproved behavioral supports being utilized.
- There was decrease in misappropriation was noted due to the addition of personal lockers being provided to consumers in 2016.
- Review previously identified trends and patterns from the previous year (both program specific and individual specific) and discuss the effectiveness of the action plans that were initiated.
- Agency provider completes by January 31st.
Send Analysis to County Board by February 28th.