New Option for Agency Waivers of the High School Diploma/GED Requirement
Beginning May 1, DODD will make available an option for agencies to obtain an agency waiver of the high school diploma/GED requirement from DODD. DSPs will be permitted to work for two years under an agency waiver and the agency must track all DSPs working under the agency waiver to ensure adherence to the two-year timeframe. DSPs are required to obtain a GED or high school diploma within the two-year time period.
Agencies requesting an agency waiver must complete a request form and submit it to DODD for approval at Diploma-GEDWaiver@dodd.ohio.gov. As a part of the request for an agency waiver, agencies will also be required to:
- Submit a description of the agency’s internal compliance system to ensure employees are not working for more than two years without a HSD/ GED
- Attest that the agency will ensure the employee is not certified to administer medications before allowing the employee to work under the agency waiver.
- Attest that employees will not administer medication without a HSD/ GED.
Agencies with an agency HSD/GED waiver cannot:
- Extend an employee’s waiver past two years; requests for an extension must be submitted to DODD
- Grant non-expiring waivers; non-expiring waivers will only be granted by DODD