The Department is seeking your comments on the following proposed rule actions.
A coalition of people with disabilities, family members, and organizations representing guardians, county boards, providers, and the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities has been working to fix Ohio's waiting list for Home and Community-Based Services waivers. The Fix The List coalition includes:
- Advocacy and Protective Services, Inc.
- The Arc of Ohio
- Autism Society of Ohio
- Ohio Association of County Boards Serving People with Developmental Disabilities
- Ohio Developmental Disabilities Council
- Ohio Olmstead Task Force
- Ohio Provider Resource Association
- Ohio Self Determination Association
- Ohio Superintendents of County Boards of Developmental Disabilities
- People First of Ohio
- The YMCA
The goal of Fix The List is to simplify the system to better reflect unmet needs and more efficiently direct supports to people and families who need them most. As a result of this collaborative effort, the Department is proposing to rescind existing rule 5123:2-1-08 (Waiting Lists) which sets forth requirements for waiting lists established by a county board of developmental disabilities pursuant to Section 5126.042 of the Revised Code for Medicaid Home and Community-Based Services waivers and for non-Medicaid services. Provisions for waiting lists will instead be addressed in two rules:
- New rule 5123-9-04 (Home and Community-Based Services Waivers - Waiting List) will address the waiting list for Medicaid Home and Community-Based Services waivers.
- Provisions regarding waiting lists for non-Medicaid services will be incorporated to rule 5123:2-1-02 (Administration and Operation of County Boards of Developmental Disabilities). Although the Department
will be rescinding existing rule 5123:2-1-02 and adopting a new
replacement rule, a version that indicates, via underline and
strikethrough, the revisions being made is provided so stakeholders can readily
see what is changing. In addition to adding provisions regarding waiting lists for non-Medicaid services, rule 5123:2-1-02 is being revised to:
- Recognize the Department's role as lead agency for Early Intervention services;
- Add provisions regarding enrollment of staff in Rapback, annual notification to staff of conduct for which they may be placed on the Abuser Registry, and background checks for volunteers;
- Add a requirement for county boards to update information about individuals served; and
- Align terms and definitions with those used in newer rules.
Please send your comments to Becky.Phillips@dodd.ohio.gov
by Wednesday, February 28.